A swimmer from Northallerton Amateur Swimming Club (NASC) has been selected for the Swim England National Development Programme.
James Wyllie, aged 14, has been selected for the programme based on his ongoing performance and outcomes in the sport of competitive swimming. The National Development Programme is the third step on the Swim England Extended Talent Pathway – but the first on the national framework. This achievement follows previous selections on the Yorkshire County and North East Regional programmes.
James has been selected based on his achievements in the pool throughout the last 12 months. This includes being ranked as #9 in 50m Freestyle for his respective age group in the country (14th in Britain). He is also ranked in the top 50 in England for 50 Backstroke. (Data accessed from https://swimmingresults.org/ on 29th August 2020).
According to Swim England, the swimmers selected nationally are aged 13/14 picked and will be expected to join a day of online workshops in October covering ‘Loving Race Day’, sleep recovery and injury prevention. A dry land conditioning session will also emphasise mobility and stability to enhance the anti-rotational / rotational strokes and streamlining.
Head Coach Greg Ient said: “We are incredibly proud of James and his selection for this programme. The talent programme will further develop James’ skills and provide opportunities to progress in the sport of swimming. As a small provincial swimming club in Hambleton, North Yorkshire, we are proud of the level of swimming we can offer within the district.”
“I am incredibly proud of all the swimmers at the club with their return to pool energy and commitment. It is without doubt we are striking the balance at the club between performance and social participation outcomes. The club philosophy is something I am proud to be part of and support”
NASC PHILOSOPHY ‘Success is for the long-term benefits and rewards; therefore, it is essential that athletes are progressed according to ability and age considering making their training enjoyable and purposeful’
“As we return to competitive swimming, the hard work and commitment demonstrated by our athletes will allow for more success stories to be forged. I am confident we will continue to build our reputation as a friendly, but competitive swimming club in Hambleton, North Yorkshire. The club, and its coaching team, are proud of the success at local, count and regional success stories in recent years”
The good news comes on the back of an already positive return to training! The club was one of the first clubs to return to the pool on the 25th July 2020. The return to the pool has allowed for members of the club to access the clubs training programme for the first time since March 2020. A month into the return to the sport the club have been able to offer all its members their training programme with support of Hambleton District Council. Further opportunities as part of the clubs recovery from COVID-19 are planned with skills workshops, hub training and time trials as the governing bodies guidelines allow.
Further information about the club, and its training programme can be found online at https://nasc.co.uk
Notes to editors
- Northallerton Amateur Swimming Club (NASC) provides swim training to youngsters aged 6-18.
- Established in 1961 to improve the swimming abilities of our town’s young people, NASC has a reputation for the fantastic development of swimmers in a very friendly and supportive environment.
- Our main objective is to help maximise the potential of every individual.
- Based at Northallerton Leisure Centre, we offer a range of opportunities for group coaching sessions throughout the week, to help swimmers of all abilities to develop technique and talent.
- The club offer additional sessions at Bedale Leisure Centre
- Club members have the chance to compete in regular open, friendly and league galas throughout the year, to encourage personal improvement and progression. Many of our swimmers go on to compete at county and regional levels.
- As well as high quality training and competitions, we run regular team residential trips in the UK and swim camps.